Pages


Friday, December 24, 2010

Showbiz: Xmas with ntv7 stars

Showbiz: Xmas with ntv7 stars
New Straits Times
Friday, 24 December 2010


(From left) Sia, Tan and Lee

MELODY GOH speaks to TV celebs Hansen Lee, Melvin Sia (Xie Jiajian) and Mayjune Tan Bee Kuan about their favourite memories of the festivity and their Christmas plans

Melvin Sia
Sia is no stranger to the local entertainment industry. His humble beginning in the local entertainment world was as a Star Search Malaysia 2003 finalist. This year, he earned the Best Actor and Most Popular Actor awards at ntv7’s Golden Awards 2010.

For Sia, Christmas means time with close friends. In his younger days, he was always out carolling at night with his church mates. With his busy schedule these days, that’s out of the question. So Christmas is usually dinner with pals.

“Atmosphere plays a great role in setting the mood for dinner. So we prefer Italian restaurants or English pubs for a cosy feel,” says Sia.

“My friends usually organise themed parties as well, so we dress up and meet, chatting over wine and music. I like Mariah Carey’s first Christmas album, Babra Streisand’s too.”

And his favourite party theme? “The pyjamas and animal parties!” he answers with a laugh

But not every Christmas has been with friends. He spent one lonely Christmas in wintry China, where he had just finished filming.

“It was pathetic. After wrapping up the filming, I stayed back while the rest returned to Malaysia, I wanted to experience a white Christmas... It was nice, but lonely.”

On his best Christmas gift, Sia says: “My family presented me with a car for Christmas. They knew I liked that particular model.”

This month, fans will be able to catch him in ntv7’s Tribulations of Life, premiering on Dec 30. “I’m satisfied with 2010, as I have acted in two dramas,” says Sia, looking forward to 2011.

Hansen Lee
Chances are you’d have caught ntv7’s The Breakfast Show if you’re an early riser. Lee co-hosts it with Daphne Iking. An ex-personal trainer, Fly FM DJ and model, the good-looking 185cm-tall 29-year-old often attracts admiring glances. He lately joined the acting scene, through stints in Crossings and Aki Nabalu.

Although he has “no special plans” for Christmas this year, he is going to spend time with his family. “Just an exchange of gifts — something simple.”
Although his family’s not strong on Christmas traditions, he relishes it as "a time of winding down”.

His most memorable Christmases were at his neighbour’s when he was young. "I remember there was a feast, and the Christmas tree and a lot of singing. That was lovely.”

The best Christmas gift he’s had is a coffee table book on photography from his ex-girlfriend. “The photos were by Anton Corbjin, whom I admire. He also shot prolific photos of U2, of whom I’m a fan. I had been looking for the book but can’t find it. So it was a nice surprise gift,” says Lee.

On 2010, Lee says: “I’m largely satisfied with it, although there were things I could have improved on. In 2011, I’m looking for bigger challenges. I’d like to take on as much as I can.”

Mayjune Tan
Tan, the 26-year-old local actress and host of ntv7’s Women’s Zone, marks a Christmas spent in Genting as her most memorable.

“When I was younger, I’d join my church choir for carolling every year. One year we decided to go carolling in Genting. We walked everywhere in the cold, singing to the throng. I really loved that Christmas,” says Tan.

From joining the church choir to annual Christmas dinners with her ex-boyfriend, the festive season is the time that Tan look forward to”.

However this year, it's work. “I’ll be joining my colleagues for our Chinese New Year album road show in Genting.”

On the best Christmas gift, Tan says: “It was a make-up set. It was a limited edition festive set and I still keep it. I love the nice packaging and its glitter — perfect for attending events.”

Fans can catch Tan in ntv7’s upcoming Chinese New Year telemovie, The Super Match Maker, premiering on Feb 3, in which she stars with Sia. “I play a student who has just returned from studies overseas. I meet Sia’s character and fall in love with him.”

This Christmas, Tan looks forward to donning her Santarina hat. ‘It’s the only time of the year that I can wear it without looking crazy!”

Read more: Showbiz: Xmas with ntv7 stars http://www.nst.com.my/nst/articles/Showbiz_Xmaswithntv7stars/Article#ixzz191PNO7WN

0 comments:

Post a Comment

抄抄写写,回忆记录,终于还是回到了自己,属于五月六月的天,就只是这么样……